Friday, January 29, 2010

A Life Saver Smoothie

While this combination might look somewhat odd to some of you, I'm sure many of you would agree with me about it's life saving abilities. Oh the green drink. So delicious when made right. It's one of the only things I can get Luci to eat when she's sick, or refusing vegetables. It's so nice for me to know that I can drink a big glassful of this and get so much out of it! Because really, it is hard to make sure you get in those leafy greens everyday. This is one of our favorite combinations:

1.5 cups water
2 tbs oj concentrate
1 cup plain yogurt
3 tbs ground flaxseed
1/2 cup frozen raspberries or blueberries
1 orange
1 large banana
as much kale or spinach as you can handle!

The benefits:

The oj and banana completely kick the flavor of the greens, and add vitamins. The flax meal gives omega 3's, magnesium, fiber, and more. Plain yogurt for texture, calcium, pro-biotics (especially good when taking antibiotics), and vitamin D. Raspberries have anti-oxidants, vitamin C, iron, vitamin A, and more calcium. Oranges, well we all know the good things about oranges. Bananas equal potassium, better texture, and flavor. And kale, oh kale, just look at the charts on this baby here.

I have lots to post about, so look forward to some more posts. I hope I can squeeze them in before this baby comes! It's technically only a month away you know.

4 comments:

Diane Carter said...

Yum! This looks delicious! I'm going to try your recipe soon. I need the nutrition. Thanks for the positive incentive. It's beautiful. Love ya

Heather Sypher said...

mmmmmm...sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Joann's Hall of Fame said...

We do make this kind of thing all the time! Joann calls it her shaky milk. We used to make it everyday or she would cry. I love that a serving of spinach is 3 cups, which would take an hour to eat raw, but you can easily slurp that much down with a banana and yogurt. I've never put flax in--is that just flax meal or do you do something to it to make the texture finer?

Danielle said...

yes, we just put in flax meal. I'm so glad you love these too!