Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Starting


As of yesterday I started the Whole Living 21 day clean eating challenge. I am really loving it. The first week is a cleanse week and, compared to a pretty much unbearable leek soup cleanse which I miraculously completed in my college days, this one is awesome! This is for a lot of reasons. First of all, I have truly been in some kind of funk for the past month and a half when it comes to a lot of things. The biggest one has been food though. I have had no motivation to plan or prepare anything especially not wholesome things. SO WEIRD. I think it is because I have been thinking about it all way too much. By "it" I mean all the different ideas about food culture, local food, chemicals in food, seasonal foods, eating meat sparingly, whole dairy vs. processed, organic, cage free, grass fed.... blah blah blah. There were too many factors, and I just don't have any experience in cooking like that. Don't get me wrong, I want desperately to figure it all out and apply it to my family... but it is hard!
SO, this challenge 1) came at the perfect time, since I stuffed myself silly pretty much everyday over the holidays and I was feelin' dirty, 2) a lot of the foods that I was having a hard time choosing are cut out, 3) all the recipes are laid out for me, and 4) they really are simple and the flavors are yummy and surprisingly satisfying!

Of course there are still a few things I am craving, but they aren't the things I would expect. I just really want some tortilla chips... good, salty, crunchy tortilla chips.

So, I am starting strong and funk free. Waking up early, doing yoga, and eating clean. I know I know what Jacob is thinking... "she is such a hippie!" Bring it :) I love having a fridge stuffed with produce and knowing exactly what I'm going to do with it.

     Elijah getting ready to try his 'clean' dinner.      

                                                  Steamed Broccoli and Squash with Tahini Sauce
                                  
                               

5 comments:

Miggy said...

Um I totally want to do this! I've been looking to do some major eating/fitness changes--considering p90x for example--and this sounds like just the thing--not starving, but a drastic change. I'll have to read it through and see but I think I could do this.

Do you have a juicer? If not, what do you do for that?

Liz Hall said...

U r crazy, but I wish you the best of luck! Go clean!

Diane Carter said...

BRING IT? You said BRING IT TO JACOB? Ha Ha that was my favorite part of the post. It really made me smile and laugh! You ARE a hippie and I love it! Clean food delish :)

rebecca said...

I have always thought that you had a lovely food culture. Full of aromatic foods, colorful and inventive dishes that tempt ones taste buds and careful thought into why one food over another. You know that I know its alot of information to digest and think about. But I am sure you can figuire it all out.
As for the whole living clease thing. Sounds interesting. Maybe I will have to contact Miggy and do it together.

rebecca said...

I have always thought that you had a lovely food culture. Full of aromatic foods, colorful and inventive dishes that tempt ones taste buds and careful thought into why one food over another. You know that I know its alot of information to digest and think about. But I am sure you can figuire it all out.
As for the whole living clease thing. Sounds interesting. Maybe I will have to contact Miggy and do it together.