Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Developing Taste Buds

I know most of you know my opinions about getting kids to eat healthy... start them young! So, when I read this article I was so excited! I was feeling way more than validated. It's an interview with Dr. Allan Greene. Dr Greene is a Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at Stanford University School of Medicine, an Attending Pediatrician at Packard Children's Hospital, and a Senior Fellow at the University California San Francisco Center for the Health Professions. He has a couple of books out there on feeding baby. The interview focuses on things like feeding baby whatever the family is eating, even peanut butter! He suggests that holding off on allergenic foods might make a child more susceptible to the allergy (when there is not already a history of allergens). When we feed our babies exciting foods early they learn to love them. Here's the interview. Here's a link to his website. Here's some proof from my family... Both Elijah and Luci loved this cobb salad complete with lettuce, cabbage, grapes, carrots, cucumbers, shrimp, and eggs. The trick to getting Eli to eat it is chopping it up in a food processor or blender with a little salad dressing.




Also, his little blurb about milk was such an answer to my prayers today.

4 comments:

rebecca said...

Amen! I have always found it strange that my child needed "special" food, like my food wasn't good enough. Here's to eating real! Yeah!

Halsey said...

I love the red hair action in your family :) My husband is a redhead and so is my little boy. I'm friends with Becky and she referred me to your blog. Cute family and AMEN to feeding kids healthy starting young. I'm doing my very best!

Anonymous said...

See the power of positive thinking within you. God bless you

Drew & Becky said...

Thanks for your inspiration and advice DaniLee! You are a blessing to so many! I completely agree and was also comforted to see that Dr. Greene does too!