Monday, July 6, 2009

I'll Always Be There For You


While doing some research for a family home evening lesson on respect I found this story that gave me an urgent desire to instill this phrase in Luci and my (hopefully soon to come) other children. Do our children know that they are uncomprehendingly loved? Do they know that we will be there for them no matter what? This talk by President James E. Faust can be found here.

Warning**...Tear Jerker


In 1989 there was a terrible earthquake in Armenia that killed over 30,000 people in four minutes. A distraught father went in frantic search of his son. He reached his son’s school only to find that it had been reduced to a pile of rubble. But he was driven by his promise to his son, “No matter what, I’ll always be there for you!” He visualized the corner where his son’s classroom would be, rushed there, and started to dig through the debris, brick by brick.

Others came on the scene—the fire chief, then the police—warning him of fires and explosions, and urging him to leave the search to the emergency crews. But he tenaciously carried on digging. Night came and went, and then, in the 38th hour of digging, he thought he heard his son’s voice. “Armand!” he called out. Then he heard, “Dad!?! It’s me, Dad! I told the other kids not to worry. I told ’em that if you were alive, you’d save me and when you saved me, they’d be saved. …

“There are 14 of us left out of 33. … When the building collapsed, it made a wedge, like a triangle, and it saved us.”

“Come on out, boy!”

“No, Dad! Let the other kids out first, ’cause I know you’ll get me! No matter what, I know you’ll be there for me!”

All family relationships should be honored including those to our kindred dead. Love, service, and help should flow between brothers and sisters and the extended family.

5 comments:

Diane Carter said...

You just love to make me cry huh? Great story and I love the picture. So cute.

COACH CARTER said...

Cute baby! Are you guys coming for the family reunion?

COACH CARTER said...

I don't know why it did it under coach carter- this is Brooke, I must be signed under Shawn's email :)

COACH CARTER said...

I don't know why it did it under coach carter- this is Brooke, I must be signed under Shawn's email :)

Jessica and Reece said...

Wow, I really should have heeded the warning at the top of this post! That WAS a tearjerker! But then again, everything is a tearjerker when you are 37 weeks pregnant :)